You don't have javascript enabled. You can't use this website properly until you turn it on or use a browser with it enabled.

Frequently Asked Questions

Following is a list of FAQ’s, in relation to studying and training with Comtech Training. The information is provided to assist those new to Telecommunications, as well as those already working in the Telecommunications or other industries.

It is hoped that the reader will gain an understanding of the work types available, what licensing is required and how to obtain their chosen qualification.

Working in Telecommunications

I’m looking to get into Telecommunications, where do I start?

There are numerous ways to enter the telecommunications industry; however it can be difficult to gain employment without experience and training. It is therefore recommended that new entrants undertake a traineeship.

A traineeship involves working for an employer whilst undertaking training and offers financial incentives to both the trainee and the employer. A traineeship is a sound way to gain a qualification, as it involves both on-the-job work experience and off-the-job training.

In order to begin a traineeship, you will first need to find an employer willing to employ you as a trainee. There are many employers in the telecommunications industry who employ trainees. In addition, it is also possible that the Government may help pay for some of the training and other expenses. Please see our Traineeships & Subsidies FAQ entry for more information.

What Qualifications are required to work in Telecommunications?

External cabling work, such as carrier street cabling, e.g. Telstra; requires qualifications including cable jointing and fault finding. Outside work involving the installation of pits and piping, as installed by Telstra contractors, requires pit and pipe skills. Internal building cabling for telephony and/or data or networking requires an ACMA registration, which covers cabling in residential and commercial environments.

ACMA Registration is mandatory for in-building work and you can be fined up to $13,000 for cabling without it. In addition if you are undertaking specialist cabling work, such as Structured, Coaxial or Optical Fibre cabling, it is a mandatory requirement to have these specialist cabling competencies.

Installation of telephone switching systems, radio or optical fibre transmission and broadband equipment requires specialised training, usually a Certificate III qualification. Design and project management work typically requires significant telecommunications experience and a Certificate IV qualification.

What qualifications are recognised in the Telecommunications Industry?

The telecommunications industry has developed a series of qualifications that allow elective competencies to be chosen, in order so that training is “tailored” to provide the required skill sets for particular areas of the industry. These qualifications, licenses and specialist competencies are contained in the ICT15 – Information and Communications Technology Training Package.

ICT Qualifications are recognised throughout the Telecommunications and IT Industries in Australia, including but not limited to Carriers, Service Providers and the Government Regulator – the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).

Comtech Training has most of the ICT15 qualifications on its’ scope of registration.

What are the job prospects once I finish my course?

This depends on the type of course you have completed and any previous experience you may have.

The types of telecommunications jobs include:

  • Cabler (Data and Telecommunications)
  • Cable Jointer
  • Civil works lines worker
  • Technician

In addition there are more advanced roles such as Field Engineers, Network Planners and Network Designers, with qualifications available for each of these roles. We suggest searching the Seek website on a regular basis for telecommunications jobs.

Subsidies and Traineeships

Where do I find information about traineeships and subsidies?

Subsidised training is available in some states. Eligibility criteria will apply for any training subsidy payable. The Skilled Group regularly offers telecommunications traineeships Australia wide, with work experience completed under Telstra. Other organisations may offer similar arrangements. Please check with the appropriate government or industry website in your state or territory regarding any subsidy or traineeship arrangements or else see our Government Funding and Subsidised Training page.

I would like to sign someone up to a traineeship as an Employer, what do I need to do?

As an employer, once you have hired a trainee, you will need to contact an Australian Apprenticeships Centre, via the Australian Apprenticeships website. They will assist you in completing a training contract and provide you with information as to what qualification(s) are best suited to your workplace, as well as advise you as to any financial incentives available.

Be sure your Apprenticeships Centre nominates Comtech Training (RTO 90933), as your Registered Training Organisation for delivery of training to your employees. As your RTO, we will consult with you and your trainee(s), in order to develop a Training Plan, which will outline the following:

  • The qualification being undertaken
  • Units of competency to be delivered
  • Critical start, finish and attendance dates and times
  • Modes of delivery, i.e. classroom, one-to-one, block-release, correspondence or online learning
  • Assessment methods and study plans
  • Training materials and location details

Do self-study options exist in order to gain a qualification?

Persons working in Telecommunications can gain a qualification by paying for it themselves and studying out-of-working-hours, e.g. in the evenings and/or on weekends, as well as taking time off work to attend off-the-job training.

Often employers are very supportive of worker initiated training, since it is more than likely in the employers’ interests to raise the skills and qualification levels of its’ employees. There may also be government subsidies available to an employer to encourage this process.

Prerequisites and Entry Requirements

What are the entry requirements for my course or qualification?

In general it is expected that students will possess a practical aptitude, sound understanding of mathematical concepts and a reasonable comprehension of written and spoken English.

The literacy and numeracy skills required for entry into our courses and qualifications are equivalent to those of a secondary student, who has completed Year 10 at High School.

Students who do not possess this education level will need to have their abilities assessed, in order to undertake our courses. Additional training may be needed to address any skills gaps, prior to or in conjunction with the program.

What are the prerequisites for my course or qualification?

Each course or qualification will have different prerequisites. The prerequisites for each course or qualification can be found on the specified course or qualification page, or browse our Courses or Qualifications pages for further information.

What is Language, Literacy and Numeracy?

Studying can be challenging, particularly for anybody who has been away from formal education for some time or who has job, household or caring responsibilities. It can be even harder if for any reason you can’t read or write well or have problems with numbers and mathematical concepts. For you to successfully undertake training we need to know your LLN level, in order so we can evaluate whether you have the skills necessary to complete your training.

We will aim to give you as much support as possible so you can achieve the required level of competency, in your chosen course or qualification.

Talk to your Trainer/Assessor if you are having difficulty studying or are experiencing issues with reading and/or writing English. We may be able to arrange support for you, in order to help you overcome barriers to successful completion of your course or qualification. Our Trainers/Assessors are in contact with our Educational Operations Manager and we will seek to formulate a study plan that may include an action plan to address your needs.

For more information about Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN), please visit our LLN page.

Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning

What if I have already completed one or more units?

If you have a Transcript, Certificate or Statement of Attainment that relates to a course you are enrolling in, you can apply for Credit Transfer. The process of applying for a Credit Transfer is as follows:

  1. Complete an Application for Credit Transfer Form
  2. Attach a copy of your evidence
  3. Give the form to your Trainer/Assessor prior to commencing the unit for which you wish to receive a Credit Transfer

Your Trainer/Assessor will determine if any credit is applicable, within 5 working days of us receiving the Application for Credit Transfer form. The Application for Credit Transfer form is available from your Trainer/Assessor or Comtech Training Staff or by sending an email to the email address on our Contact Page.

Note: If you have not been notified of the outcome of your Credit Transfer application prior to commencement of your course, we strongly advise you to attend or continue attending the training, pending an outcome.

I’ve been working in telecommunications for some years, can I get RPL?

In some cases, students may be exempted from completing certain competencies if they provide evidence of prior experience – this process, called Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), is offered by Comtech Training, to reduce the time taken in training for those with previous experience.

In order to determine if you are eligible for RPL, you will need to undertake our RPL process, which initially involves knowing what qualification or study unit(s) you would like to have recognition for and then completing our RPL application form. Enrolment into your chosen course or qualification will also need to be completed before you can be assessed for RPL.

Once the RPL application and enrolment process is completed, you will then need to provide our assessors with sufficient evidence to demonstrate your skills and knowledge, which is used to assess you against the requirements of the course, qualification or course unit(s).

Our assessors will advise you as to what credit you may receive, however please bear in mind that in some situations, it may actually be quicker and easier to complete the course rather than spend time collecting and preparing evidence. By completing the course, you may also learn new or updated procedures that can benefit you in your workplace practice.

I have electrical qualifications; how can they contribute towards my training?

Having an electrical qualification provides a student with the background knowledge required to complete one of a range of our telecommunications courses or qualifications and allows a trainee to understand many of the concepts associated with telecommunications work.

While electrical concepts are always covered, having an electrical background can assist a student or trainee with fundamental electrical principles knowledge.

In some cases, a course you have previously completed as part of an electrical qualification may be equivalent to part of a telecommunications qualification, in which case you may be eligible RPL.

Where do I find more information about the RPL process?

Information about the RPL application process and other frequently asked questions is available on our RPL page, otherwise please Contact Us and one of our assessors will be able to offer you information about your eligibility or provide you with an information pack.

Enrolment and Delivery

How are courses and qualifications delivered?

Traineeships may be undertaken over a 12-24 month period, with short course delivery occurring over reduced timeframes. The delivery methods available are ELearning, face-to-face and/or correspondence.

ELearning modules may need to be completed prior to attending practical sessions. ELearning can be accessed via the rttelearn website. Instructions on how to enrol in our ELearning courses is available via our Online Enrolment FAQ entry.

In addition to ELearning modules and practical sessions, students may also be required to attend tutorials during or after business hours, dependent on the program being undertaken. It is recommended that students allocate 8-10 hours per week for study and assessment tasks. A course text book will be supplied for each individual unit of competency.

Please see the course schedule on the relevant course or qualification page or speak to us directly about finding the best delivery method for the course or qualification you wish to do.

How do I know I am getting the best and most up-to-date training?

Comtech Training regularly schedules activities to monitor all aspects of our operations. We do this to ensure we comply with standards and guidelines laid out by government regulators and industry bodies, that are required for continuing our registration, including industry best practice, as well as the codes of practice defined in our company policies and procedures.

We strive to ensure our activities are in keeping with the expectations of regulators, industry bodies, clients, stakeholders and students; through a process of Continuous Improvement, which encompasses student and stakeholder feedback, performance audits, internal reviews and informal conversations.

We always welcome feedback and will act in the interests of quality education and service delivery.

After endorsement of a new Unit of Competency or Qualification by the training regulator, the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA); as soon as practicable, we will implement new units of competency or Qualifications. In this process there will inevitably be a transitional period, whereby some students will be completing superseded Units of Competency, for which they were enrolled.

How do I enrol in a course or qualification?

For eLearning courses, please register on our eLearning website or via links on respective course pages.

For qualification or instructor led short courses, please download and complete our Course Enrolment Form, found on our Course Bookings and Enrolment page and send it to the email address on that page, or fax it to (02) 4957 7113.

Note: if you are not already a Student of Comtech Training; you will need to obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Visit our USI page for more information.

Training standards and our training guarantee.

Comtech Telecommunications Training policies and management practices seek to maintain the highest professional standards in marketing and delivery of vocational and educational programs and services. These policies and practices are designed to safeguard the interests and welfare of clients and students.

We strive to maintain a learning environment conducive to the needs and success of our students. We will only deliver programs we can support with the necessary human and physical resources. We will provide adequate facilities for staff, clients and students and we will only use the most appropriate teaching methods and materials, for the best possible program outcomes.

We guarantee to complete all training and assessments once you have started your course, unless you tell us in writing that you are withdrawing from a course. If we can’t deliver the training as specified, we will make alternative arrangements for you to complete your training with another provider.

We regularly evaluate our courses in order to monitor how well we are in keeping with national standards, as well as our own company policies and procedures. We document any complaints on a Corrective Action Form so as to ensure we are taking suitable follow-up action.


How do I access the eLearning website?

Please visit The Comtech Training eLearn website and sign in with your login credentials. If you don’t already have an account, please visit our eLearning Sign Up page.

Note: Payment is required prior to commencing a course.

How do I enrol in an online course?

  1. Go to the rttelearn website
  2. Once you are on the eLearning website, you will see a list of Course Categories, e.g. HSE courses or ACMA Cabler Registration Courses
  3. Select the course you wish to complete, e.g. ACMA Upgrade to Open Registration
  4. After you have selected your course, you will be brought to the Log in page. If you are a new user, you will need to select the button that says “Create new account”
  5. On the Create New Account page, you will be prompted to enter your details and create a username and password. Once you have completed the necessary fields, select the “Create new account” button
  6. A confirmation email will be sent to your email address. This may take a few minutes so please be patient. Once you have received the email, please click on the link in the email or copy and paste the link into your internet browser address bar to confirm your account
  7. Once your account is confirmed, you will be taken back to the main course page. In order to access the course, you will have to pay the required course fee. Click on the “Send payment via PayPal button”. If you don’t have PayPal, don’t worry as the PayPal page will offer you the option to pay via credit or debit card. Comtech Training uses PayPal for all online payments to provide students with a secure method of making an online payment
  8. After you have paid for the course, you will be able to access the course pages and commence your training
  9. In order to complete the course, students are required to achieve a pass mark of 80% in all lesson and module tests
  10. Once you have completed and passed all course components, you will be required to submit a declaration form
  11. Where there is a practical component that needs to be completed after ELearning, please send an email to the email address on our Contact Page to book a practical session in your area. Upcoming practical course dates are listed on course or qualification pages on our website

How long do I have to complete my online course?

Please see our Course Bookings and Enrolment page.

The eLearning site says I'm answering a question correctly but it won't let me proceed.

In most cases, this occurs when the question has more than one correct answer. If the participant selects only one of the correct answers it will inform the participant that they are correct, but will not let them proceed until ALL the correct answers have been selected.

Who do I contact if I have a question about eLearning?

If you have any issues or questions regarding Comtech Training’s eLearning website or online courses, please use our eLearn Contact page.

ACMA Registrations and Specialist Competencies

How do I become a registered cabler?

The cabling “licensing” regime is maintained by the ACMA, through each of its’ five Accredited Registrars. When you meet the training requirements for an Open or Restricted Cabling License, you can apply to one of the registrars for registration. There are a number of requirements for obtaining an ACMA Open or Restricted Cabling License, these include:

  1. Completion of the Open Registration (ICTCBL236) or Restricted Registration (ICTCBL237) course
  2. Completion of Work Health and Safety (ICTWHS204) or equivalent
  3. Evidence of 360 hours on-the-job cabling experience for an Open Registration or 80 hours on-the-job cabling experience for a Restricted Registration

Note: If you do not have OHS or WHS training, this can be provided to you via eLearning.

Once you have met the requirements for an Open Registration or Restricted Registration License, you can then apply for a cabling license via one of the following accredited registrars:

You can use the documents listed below as evidence of cabling experience to a Registrar:

If you need further information in relation to the requirements for obtaining a cabling license, the application process or your eligibility, please Contact Us or visit the ACMA websites' How to Become a Registered Cabler FAQ.

How do I add a Specialist Competency to my Open Cabling License?

Once you have completed your course you will need to send a copy of your certificate and registrars application form to your registrar in order to have the Specialist Competency added to your Open Cabling license.

National Broadband Network

How do I get into working on the NBN?

There are many different ways to gain employment with the NBN rollout. If you have already undertaken specific NBN training or have previous experience in fibre optic networks, we would recommend getting in contact with an NBN Construction Delivery Partner, who is completing NBN work in your state. It is an exciting time for the telecommunications industry, with the introduction of the National Broadband Network and an aging workforce that is creating opportunities for younger workers.

If you are yet to undertake training for work on the NBN you have two options: you can either complete an NBN qualification or you can complete the required/recommended training course(s), as developed by NBN Co and delivered by Comtech Training.

A complete list of NBN Construction Delivery Partners can be found on the NBN Co website.

NBN Qualifications

  • Certificate II in National Broadband Network Construction
  • Certificate III in National Broadband Network Construction

Required Approved Training Courses

  • NBN Safety and Awareness
  • Power Awareness
  • Remove non-friable asbestos
  • Supervise asbestos removal

The NBN Safety and Awareness course is mandatory for anyone working in the NBN Co access Network.

Recommended Approved Training Courses:

  • Install, Commission and Maintain a Fibre NTD
  • Prepare, Splice and Enclose Ribbon Fibre
  • MDU Cabling and Hardware Installation – Brownfields
  • Install Underground Service Drop
  • Aerial Construction
  • Survey and Report Underground Network – Field Inspection Report (Coming Soon)
  • NBN SpatialNET for Detailed Design (Coming Soon)
  • MDU Cabling and Hardware Installation – New Developments

Note: It will depend on what work you are completing on the NBN rollout, as to which of the recommended course(s) you should complete.

For more information about the NBN Co training courses, please visit our NBN courses page or the NBN Co Training and Accreditation page on the NBN Co website.

Certificates and Statements of Attainment

Are my certificates nationally recognised?

Comtech recognises current accredited Qualifications and Statements of Attainment issued by any other RTO. We will give you credit for all earlier training if it is the same or equivalent unit of competency as the training you are doing with us. We ask you to tell us at the start of the course whether you have any units that can be used to apply for a credit transfer.

How do I obtain a Certificate or Statement of Attainment?

Certificates or Statements of Attainment are normally issued to students who have successfully completed the requirements of their course, within 14 days of completion. No application form is required to be completed.

Delays will only occur if prerequisite material has not been provided to Comtech Training or there have been unavoidable delays in the provisioning of assessment outcomes to student records.

If you have not received your certificate after 14 days, please contact our office on 1300 371 130.

What if I lose my certificate or Statement of Attainment?

If you have lost your Qualification or Statement of Attainment, please contact us for a Request for Personal Documents Form. Complete the form and return it to us with the relevant documents attached.

We will process your request within 30 days of receiving the form and documents.

We will then either:

  • Reissue a replacement Certificate or Statement of Attainment, or
  • Contact you and explain why we can’t reissue your qualification and what your options are

There are fees to cover the search and printing costs, please send a request via our Contact Page for the fee structure.

Contacting Comtech Training

How do I contact Comtech Telecommunications Training?

Depending on what you need to contact us about, there are a variety of contact methods available. You may contact us via our Facebook page or you can email us using the email address on our Contact Us page.

Alternatively, you can call us during business hours on 1300 371 130.

For ELearning enquiries, please visit our ELearn Contact page.

How do I provide feedback about a course or qualification?

Comtech Telecommunications Training collects data from students and employers by issuing feedback forms at various points in our training courses. The following forms used to collect feedback:

  • Mid and end of Course Evaluation Forms
  • Learner and Employer Questionnaires
  • Trainer/Assessor Feedback Form

Data collected helps to give us an idea of the outcomes we are achieving and how well we are meeting client needs. RTO Administrative Assistants collate feedback forms and questionnaires, and record the information for analysis. Relevant and important data allows Comtech Training to determine any areas for improvement. You can also email us any feedback or submit a contact request via our Contact Us page.

If I have a medical condition, do I need to tell you?

If you have a medical condition preventing you from participating in a training course you need to inform us. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, this information must be included on your Enrolment Form. If you fall ill before a class starts, you must let your Trainer/Assessor know as soon as possible and provide a medical certificate, if a class or assessment is missed due to illness.