Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology
Course OutlineThis Qualification is designed for students wanting to formalise their training and work in the telecommunications industry.
Course ContentThe course has been designed for units to be grouped together for specific job outcomes for example.
- Cabling Technician
- Electronic Security Technician
- Wireless Technician
- Network Designer
Possible career paths for telecommunications cabling professionals include:
- telecommunications network equipment installer
- telecommunications voice and data equipment installer
- IP based security alarms installer
- telecommunications equipment operator
- telecommunications tradesperson.
There are no entry requirements for this course. However, Language, Literacy & Numeracy Assessments will be undertaken upon commencement to determine if any additional support strategies are required.
How much does the course cost?
Total course fees for the fee for service (full fee-paying) students is $4000.00. This cost is broken up into staged payments that are due prior to the commencement of clustered units or courses.
- $400 is a non-refundable administration fee payable before training can begin (online or face to face)
- $1100 paid at the 6-month mark.
- $2500 payable at the end of 12 months
There are a range of government incentives available for this course including employer incentives, and traineeship funded courses.
For more information, please click here.
What Skills will I obtain?
The skills that form part of qualification can be used in multiple industries. This qualification is grouped into logical short courses.
Below is an explanation of each course including the learning outcomes.
Prerequisites (online plus 1 day in class)1. ICTWHS204 Follow work health and safety and environmental policy and procedures
2. ICTTEN202 Use hand and power tools
3. ICTTEN208 Use electrical skills when working with telecommunications networks.
These course units are what we call the underpinning knowledge required by any person entering a technical industry
They are at a Certificate II level and have been developed to support new entrants into the industry.
Cabling Registration (online plus 4 days in class)
4. ICTCBL246 Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Restricted Rule
5. ICTCBL247 Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Open Rule
In order to legally work on the Australian Telecommunications, network a technician is required to hold a cabling Registration (License)
This course provides a trainee with the knowledge component to apply for that cabling registration (license)
Or if you already hold an Open Registration, you can do the ‘Electronic Security Course’ option below.
Electronic Security (online plus 5 days in class)
4. ICTTEN320 Commission an electronic unit
5. ICTTEN321 Maintain an electronic system
In WA Successful completion of these two units at Comtech will provide the technician with the units required to apply for a security license with the WA Police
In SA Successful completion of these two units at Comtech will provide the technician with three units towards a Certificate II required to apply for a security license with the SA Police.
Cabling Endorsements (online plus 5 days in class - including Telecommunication Services)
6. ICTCBL301 Install, terminate and certify structured cabling installation
7. ICTCBL322 Install, test and terminate optical fibre cable on customer premises
8. ICTCBL303 Install and terminate coaxial cable.
This course provides the technician with the skills and knowledge to install specialist cabling systems such a UTP (Cat 5&6)
Optical Fibre and Coaxial cable. Successful completion of this course allows a technician to add the specialist endorsements to their cabling registration.
Or if you already hold the above Cabling Endorsements you can do the ‘External Fibre Course’ option below
External Fibre (online plus 5 days in class - including Telecommunication Services)
6. ICTTEN318 Inspect, clean and handle optical fibre cable and connectors
7. ICTCBL330 Splice and terminate optical fibre cable for telecommunications projects
8. ICTBWN307 Use optical measuring instruments.
Telecommunication Services (included in the 5 days for Cabling Endorsements or External Fibre)
9. ICTTEN315 Determine and apply technologies within a telecommunications system
10. ICTWOR308 Provide customer service to telecommunications customers.
Now that a trainee has the technical knowledge to work on a network it is important to learn such skills as understanding technologies and
how to use that knowledge to provide a high level of customer service.
Design and Construct an IP Network (online plus 5 days in class)
11. ICTTEN207 Install and test internet protocol devices in convergence networks
12. ICTNWK305 Install and manage network protocols
13. ICTTEN312 Install telecommunications network equipment
14. ICTCBL311 Install systems and equipment.
This course will teach a trainee the fundamental concepts of working with Internet Protocol (IP) Networks
Whereas the previous courses concentrated on cabling infrastructure, this course concentrates on the
installation and commissioning of equipment such as switches and router.
Fault finding in a wireless network (online plus 2 days in class)
15. ICTTEN317 Locate, identify and rectify telecommunications network faults
16. ICTNWK405 Build a small wireless local area network.
Wireless networks have become such a prominent part of the day-to-day business life that any disruption can have a major impact on operations.
This course teaches a trainee how to use fault finding methodology to fault find and repair wireless faults on a network.
Where can I study?
Comtech Training has training facilities at the following locations:
- WA - Welshpool
- VIC - Port Melbourne
- NSW - Homebush
- QLD - Construction Training Centre in Salisbury
- SA - Construction Training Centre (regency Road)
- ACT - Contact us for further details.
Course DeliveryThe nominal duration for the Certificate III in Telecommunications is 12-24 months (depending on the jurisdiction). Depending on the study mode and any RPL given the course duration may be shortened.
Course Cost$4000 (GST not applicable)
|Name||Course Start Date||Course End Date||Cost|
|ACT - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|
|NSW - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|
|QLD - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|
|SA - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|
|TAS - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$5,000.00|
|VIC - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|
|WA - ICT30519 Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology - Enrolments||01/07/2021||31/12/2021||$4,000.00|