Unique Student Identifier (USI) information
From 1 January 2015, all students completing Nationally Recognised Training will require a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
A USI is a government issued number that allows a student or Registered Training Organisation (RTO) access to your record of training and will contain all your training records for any training you have completed.
Who needs a USI?
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is required for any nationally recognised training (qualifications, accredited courses, skill sets and units of competency); this also applies to international students.
Why do I need a USI?
The USI allows you to have easier and more reliable access to your record of training history. You will also be able to produce transcripts of your training, which can be used when applying for jobs, seeking credit transfer or demonstrating prerequisite skills when undertaking further training.
How do I get a USI?
- STEP 1: Get at least one form of ID ready, eg your driver’s license, Australian passport, Medicare card, birth certificate, visa (for non-Australian passport), Immigration Card or Citizenship Certificate.
- STEP 2: Have your personal contact details ready; you’ll need address, email and/or phone number.
- STEP 3: Visit usi.gov.au and select Get a USI.
- STEP 4: Agree to the terms and conditions and follow the steps on screen.
- STEP 5: Write your new USI number down and keep it somewhere safe.
- STEP 6: Have your USI number with you when you enrol.